Indian Economy in Focus
Dr. Rajiv Kumar is a leading Indian economist. He is the author of several books on India’s economy and national security. His latest books are Modi & His Challenges (2016), Resurgent India: Ideas and Priorities (2015) and Exploding Aspirations: Unlocking India's Future (2014). He is a widely recognized economic columnist and a leading speaker on issues in Indian political economy. Presently, he is:
(i) Founding Director of Pahle India Foundation (PIF), Delhi;
(ii) Chancellor of the Gokhale Institute of Economics and Politics (A Deemed University, Pune). PIF, a non-profit think tank focuses on facilitating economic policy change based on objective and rigorous research.
He concurrently serves as:
(i) Government of India nominated Independent Director on Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India;
(ii) Member of the International Board of Management of King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center, Riyadh, chaired by the Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Petroleum and Energy;
(iii) Director, Institute of Human Development, Delhi;
(iv) Director, Giri Institute of Development Studies, Lucknow;
(v) Independent Director on the Board of DHFL; and
(vi) Member, Advisory Board of CISCO, India.
His earlier positions have been:
• Senior Fellow, Centre of Policy Research, Delhi (2013- January 2017)
• Secretary General, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI, 2010-2012)
• Director & Chief Executive, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER, 2006-2010)
• Chief Economist, Confederation of India Industries (CII, 2004-2006)
• Principal Economist, Asian Development Bank, Manila (1995 to 2005)
• Economic Advisor, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, (1992 to 1995);
He has a D.Phil. in Economics from Oxford University (1982) and a Ph.D from Lucknow University (1978).